I want you to think of your business as a house. If you try to put up the walls, doors, windows, roof etc.. without having a foundation, it just doesn’t work. You can’t just throw any type of material down for your foundation either. The foundation must be firm and strong to hold the weight of the house without crumbling. Many business owners have their own philosophy when it comes to building a successful business foundation. I’ve broken down the fundamentals into 2 categories: fundamentals for the business owner and fundamentals for the business. Everyone has their own variation or formula they swear by that has made them successful.
Here are a few fundamentals you as a business owner must have to be successful:
- Positive mindset – If you don’t believe it will work then it won’t.
- Leadership – You set the standard for everything. Your employees will mimic your actions.
- Mentorship – Seek advice from other guru’s in your industry.
- Professional development – Never stop seeking knowledge and information. We always have room for improvement.
Here are the fundamentals your business must have to be successful:
- Product or service does what you say it does – It is unwise to sell a product you have never used or know nothing about. All you have is your reputation, don’t blow it!
- Phenomenal customer service – Mistakes will happen. Own up and make it right. Treat every customer the way you would treat the person you love the most. Raving lunatic fans are your best marketing tool.
- Vision or Mission for your company – Have a clear objective that everyone in your company knows and can convey to your consumers.
- Know your target audience – You must know who your customer is and where they are.
I want to leave you with a quote from Andrew Carnegie – “People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents.”